Marriage Licenses for North Lake Tahoe

If you have decided that Lake Tahoe is the right destination for your wedding, you should be aware of the rules regarding Marriage Licenses before you get here. In general, there are different marriage license laws in each state. So if you’re getting married on the Nevada side of the Lake, you need a Nevada Marriage License, and similarly, California weddings require a Marriage License from California.

The actual issuance of marriage licenses within each state is done by County governments, through the County Clerk’s office. But a marriage license is valid for a wedding anywhere in the State where it is issued. So this means, for example, if you live in LA or the San Francisco Bay Area, and you’re getting married on the California side of the Lake Tahoe area, you can pick up your marriage license in the County where you live, before traveling to Tahoe for your destination wedding. Check the website for the County Clerk’s office in your County for details on how to obtain a Marriage License locally.

But what should you do if you live out of state? You will need to pick up your marriage license at a location near your Lake Tahoe nuptials. Here are your options, depending on whether your wedding will be in Nevada or California.

Nevada Weddings

Nevada Marriage LicensesYour wedding venue is likely to be somewhere in or near Incline Village, which is in Washoe County.

Fortunately there is a satellite office for the Washoe County Clerk right in Incline Village. It is located at the Incline Village General Improvement District, 893 Southwood Blvd., and is open Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, except holidays. Phone: 775-784-7260. Click here for more info.

If these hours are inconvenient, or if you are flying into Reno Airport, there is another option – you can obtain a marriage license at the Washoe County Clerk’s main office, located at 1001 E. 9th Street, Building A, in Reno. Hours are 8:00 am – Midnight, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Click here for more info.

California Marriage LicensesCalifornia Weddings

If you’re flying into Sacramento, San Francisco or Oakland Airport, and driving to Tahoe from there, you may find it convenient to stop at the Placer County Clerk’s office, located in the city of Auburn at 2954 Richardson Drive. This office processes marriage license applications between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. No appointment is necessary. Click here for more info.

If those hours don’t work for your travel schedule, or if you’re traveling to the North Shore from a different direction, you can also obtain a Marriage License right in North Lake Tahoe – at Placer County’s satellite office, located at 5225 N. Lake Blvd. in Carnelian Bay. However, you must have an appointment, and the office hours only run from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. To schedule an appointment, call 530-886-5610. Click here for more info.